SOSP Contact Info:
SOSP 2014 - Let's Get Ready!!!
Welcome students, parents, families, and friends. It's time get started and fired up about Sound of Sun Prairie 2014. Here's some information that will help us get off to fantastic start:
SOSP 2014 Important Dates:
SOSP 2013 DVD & Memory Book Release / SOSP 2014 Show Announcement
- Thursday December 12th, 6:00pm @ SPHS Band Room (Enter Door #3)
SOSP 2014 Open Rehearsal (for all returning SOSP members & new students interested in joining)
- Sunday January 12th, 12:30 - 3:30pm @ CHUMS
SOSP 2014 Kick-Off Meeting & Rehearsal (for all returning SOSP members & new students interested in joining)
- Tuesday February 25th, 7 - 8:30pm @ SPHS (Enter Door #3)
SOSP 2014, Rehearsal #1!!!!!
- Saturday March 8th, 9:00am - 5:00pm @ SPHS (will lunch break from 12:00 - 1:30)
Need more information about SOSP is about?
SOSP TENTATIVE SCHEDULE 2014
MACBDA directors recently had a fall meeting to work out schedule for the coming season. There are number of factors that went into consideration for the following dates, with the prominent change being most high school graduations are 1 week later than usual (Sun Prairie's is Friday June 13th, 2014) - essentially pushing our season back 1 week as well in order to fit in all shows for MACBDA bands.
This schedule will essentially feel very similar to 2013, but one week later - ending approximately July 20th. We are putting this news out now to see how that impacts students & families. We have checked many of the common music & boy scout camps and they have also pushed back 1 week. If you have any specific comments, concerns, or questions - please do not hesitate in contacting SOSP Director, Ian Melrose - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday Rehearsals begin March 8th, 2014 and continue through school year
- There will be a break the second weekend of spring break
- There will be some other adjustments for drill learning weekend, camp weekends in May, etc.. (TBD)
- "Everydays" begin Sunday June 15th @ 5pm and continue through June 25th
- Performance season begins Thursday June 26th
- Flags of Freedom will be Saturday June 28th
- Traverse City trip will be July 8th to July 12th (this will not be MACBDA Finals)
- MACBDA Finals Weekend, July 17 - 19th w/ tentative Finals @ UW-Whitewater
Fall Football Game:
- Rehearsal Thursday 8/21, Performance Friday 8/22
Thanks! .. for a great Football Game Performance
On Friday August 30th, the Sound of Sun Prairie dusted off its 2013 production, "When Night Breaks" to perform for the first home football game for Sun Prairie High School. SOSP also performed its parade tune, "Build Me Up Buttercup" to finish off the performance.
Thanks to all students, parents, and staff that made this performance possible. It was great to celebrate all the great things happening in the greater Sun Prairie Community. Special thanks to the the SPHS student section for their awesome support!
About the Sound of Sun Prairie Marching Band:
The Sound of Sun Prairie is a voluntary, extra-curricular marching band. It is comprised of 8-12th grade students who have an interest in performing with percussion and wind instruments or color guard.
The purpose of the Sound of Sun Prairie is to provide an environment in which students can learn to work cooperatively toward common goals, the power of positive attitudes, personal responsibility, self-motivation, individual sacrifice for the good of the group, and striving to work to the best of one’s ability at all times. It is a student-centered organization that promotes personal growth and student leadership. The band’s philosophy is based on the belief that learning to be successful in marching band involves the same process as learning to be successful in other endeavors and that understanding the process for success is the most important part of attaining success.
SOSP is a member of the Mid-America Competing Band Directors Association (MACBDA) and it follows their schedule of events. This includes marching and competing in parades and field show competitions throughout the Midwest.